Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Snowy Owl at Cape Spear

 On Saturday morning before all of the traffic stirred, I headed to Cape Spear for a walkabout. My plan was to hike the trail until I saw a Snowy Owl, even if I had to go all the way to Petty Harbour.
 Well, I didn't have to go far at all. There on a rock below the old lighthouse sat my first Snowy Owl of the season. I watched it as it watched me.
 This bird was very skittish and alert. After finishing my walk into the path, I was not surprised to hear from other birders the bird had up and flown away.
 A wild thing like a Snowy Owl is not accustomed to posing for pics. If we are lucky enough to get another one or two at the Cape, it might be best to enjoy it from a distance. This bird still has lots of streaking.
 Working the puddle along the trail is the same White-rumped Sandpiper. This guy may stay around for a long time. To me, it was surprising it didn't leave with the other two sandpipers of last weekend.
Of course no morning of birding is complete without getting only a partial look and pic of a warbler. Another one gets away!

No comments:

Post a Comment