Wednesday, October 16, 2013

What next?

 How do I follow the hot birds of the last post? I waited a few days to see if maybe, just maybe, another rare bird may generate some more excitement. So far, that hasn't happened. So, unless I see a mermaid, I figure I could never post again following our Scissor-tailed Flycatcher.  Well, it just so happens....I did, see a mermaid that is.
 Over the last month or so, I have seen many things that have given me reason to pause and just enjoy the sight, even if there were no feathers or wings.
 Examples: The Aida Bella sailed into the St. John's harbour with a smile on its face. Honestly, it looks much more engaging on the water than it does when docked with the overbearing image of big lips towering overhead.
Goulds offered up a bright orange sunrise early one morning in late September. It would be a shame to sleep through this.
 Gotta get up with the rooster's cock-a-doodle-doo to see some of the most magical moments of the day and maybe even catch a few woodland birds moving about:-).
 This wasps' nest was a show-stopper on Rennie's River in early September. I watched it for a while - from a distance, of course, but didn't see one single wasp.
And so, I am still wondering what bird will capture my interest like the most recent Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. This morning, I went back through some pictures and came up with this image of a Scissor-tailed I saw along the Arkansas - Missouri border in July 2010. Note the length of the tail.

Bird watching has its lulls and its rapid-fire moments. It is filled with reflection and recollection of birds gone by and anticipation of those yet to come. When a mega-rarity like this flycatcher comes a long; well, as they say "the higher the high; the lower the low."

No comments:

Post a Comment