Monday, September 23, 2013

Lapland Longspur at La Manche

 With all of the sparrows around at this time, it would be really easy to miss this little Lapland Longspur.
 While unsuccessfully chasing some rarities yesterday, I came across this unexpected surprise.
 Typically, I don't like checking La Manche road on the weekends, because it is usually very busy there. I made an exception yesterday and took a quick dart in. About half way in, I spotted this little bird picking at the gravel at the side of the road. What really struck me as unusual was that it didn't fly when I stopped.
That peaked my interest. I was on the bad side of the lighting, so it was a little while before I could actually see its markings through my binoculars. Fortunately, it was a very cooperative Lapland Longspur, giving me ample time to look and take a few shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment