Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Fledgling Fox Sparrow

For a short while, there are going to be a number of different-looking birds around us.  These will be the fledglings. When I came upon three of these little birds playing behind a tree line, I knew they had to be very young birds of some sparrow species. Bright, eh?
Looking for clues to what else was around, I found four different species of sparrows in the vicinity.  Of course, I began to think - heavily streaked, rounded head, and large. It was the chocolate brown of this bird that confounded me, and I had to ask for help to identify it.
It is a baby Fox Sparrow. In this picture, there is the rusty color on the tail, but that wasn't visible when the three were flying around the deep woods. This is a new one for me, and I will watch for them next year.

Little birds grow to look like adults so quickly, now is the time to begin watching for all of the young, playful and clumsy little birds around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment