Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Drat! No new birds in three weeks!

 Not every day do I find a new bird!  I wish I did.  I have set a target number of birds that I wanted to see this year and I am very close but given the dry spell that I have had over the last three weeks, I probably won't hit my target:(

That prospect doesn't stop me from trying.  The ones that got away in the St. John's area are many.  I have tried multiple times to see:  Blue-headed Vireo, Yellow-breasted Chat, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Snowy Owl, King Eider, Lincoln Sparrow, Gray Catbird, Black Scoter, Orange-crowned Warbler and most recently a Pine Warbler.  I wish it weren't so but I missed them all.
 When this happens I take solace in knowing that I am outside enjoying the fresh air, the exercise and the amazing scenery such as the sights that I share today. On October 4, 2011 I was at Cape Spear before sunrise and was able to stand and watch the pallet paint itself in amazing colors.
And then.... in typical Newfoundland fashion all of the color drained out of the sky as a bank of cloud and fog rolled in. Fortunately, it didn't last too long and the sun illuminated the sky once again.

Will I reach my target number of birds over the next 31 days?  Not likely!

No comments:

Post a Comment