Friday, August 26, 2011

Gray Jay - Juvenile

 While the Gray Jay is a common bird in Newfoundland, I decided to post about this one because of its different plumage.

On a recent drive down the Southern Shore, a small bird flew across the road. I have now learned that even one bird can indicate that there are several more in the area. About a kilometer North of the Fermeuse town sign, I stopped the car to check it out.
As expected several different species of warblers appeared. I was shooting pictures of them when they would pop out on a branch and offer up a clear view. While patiently awaiting warbler cooperation, in flew this robin-size gray bird. I didn't know what it was. Not too bright, eh?
It stayed for a while and I got these record shots.  When I returned to the car, I looked up three different species with the Gray Jay being the third one. Nothing in the guide matched the markings on this bird. Now, I was puzzled, as usual.
When I got to Renews, I ran into a birder and was sure that he would know what it was. I was right about that, anyway. With one glance, he said that it was an immature Gray Jay.
This turned out to be the highlight of the day because I learned something new. Hardly a day passes that I don't slowly add a new piece of info to my small bank of knowledge. For sure, I will remember this one because there is something really demoralizing about having a common bird and not even knowing what it is. I guess it is to be expected as this is only the second Gray Jay that I have seen in two years. I would have surely recognized a mature bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment