Saturday, October 16, 2010

Horned Lark

 I have seen Horned Lark on two occasions, both time on the Cape Race Road. This location is quite far from St. John's and is a very rough road. Because of this I haven't returned to try to get better pictures. During both opportunities I was with a tour group. It is a good thing, too, because the Horned Lark blends in so well with its surroundings that I may not have found the bird on my own. This is an adult Horned Lark with clear dark tufts protruding above the eyes.
 This juvenile Horned Lark has not yet developed its horns. This bird is most often found foraging in fields and near roads. Apparently, it has spectacular flight behaviour during breeding season. I have yet to see this. The Horned Lark is a year-round resident of Newfoundland and I hope to have many opportunities to study its behaviour and photography it.
I included this rear photo because it so clearly shows the hornlike black tufts for which it is named.

No comments:

Post a Comment