Thursday, August 19, 2010

Greylag Goose (Arkansas)

On May 11, I introduced Michael, the Greylag Goose that has frequented Quidi Vidi Lake for many years. On a side trip in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, I came across this Greylag among some Lesser Canada Geese and three Domestic (Chinese) Geese.

This Greylag did not seem domesticated and was not nearly as big as Michael.  I have included an image of this Greylag with the Lesser Canada Geese to better show its size.

I didn't use much of my time shooting this goose as I had seen one before. I was more eager to get shots of new birds for my catalog. Time was too short to tarry too long with one bird.  As I trudged deeper in the woods I found a bird blind, a good sign that there were many birds in the area. I would love to go back. No doubt, I could have easily spent a full day at this sight or maybe even a week.
Aside: I took a walk around Quidi Vidi Lake this week and was astounded to see how big Michael has become over the summer. He must have eaten very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment