Sunday, May 23, 2010

May 2-4 Robin


During the weekend, I drove through some back roads in search of new spring arrivals. This drowsy little American Robin flew in and barely got a grip on this post.

His suit looked a little crumpled. I couldn't help but think maybe he imbibed a bit too much last night at a May 24 (twenty-four) party. For anyone who is unfamiliar with this holiday, it marks the unofficial beginning of Summer. Many a campsite is loaded with cases (two dozen -24) of beer to add some levity to the party.

When poor Robbie lost his feet and began to look a little green, I really felt empathy for him. I can remember some May 24 gatherings (many years ago, mind you) where I found my own legs a  little wobbly and I certainly felt green.

Then again, maybe the dogberries are a bit fermented now. Perhaps that was the cause of his misery.

Robbie finally pulled himself back up on his legs. After he steadied himself a bit, he started twisting and stretching. The poor guy got himself in such a knot that he didn't know which way was up. It might have been at this point where I think he may have uttered a little prayer.

Thank goodness no cars were travelling on this road so I had an uninterrupted view of him working through his morning aches and pains.


At last he got himself upright. He was better able to balance himself and there was hope that the day wouldn't be a total loss. However, I couldn't help but notice that his eyes were still pretty glassy.



No comments:

Post a Comment