Saturday, May 15, 2010

Common Grackle


In April I posted a picture of a Common Grackle but it hadn't attained its full Spring colors yet. I came upon two Common Grackles at Forest Pond in Goulds and was astounded by the color.

I have seen many Grackles before, but in my mind I considered them a nuisance and didn't really enjoy the color and shape of them.

This is a perfect specimen of the bluish/purplish head with the deep bronze back. The pale yellow eye is clear and the large beak is prominent.

The two Grackles flitting around the pond were a bit skittish but did stay still long enough for me to get shots from about 15 to 20 feet away. I tried to get closer!

Every time I moved too close, this is what happened - they took off. I didn't want to disturb them too much so I just took a few pictures and went on my way.


I spotted the tail of this bird in flight as it darted behind some shrubs. I knew by the shape of the tail that it was not a Starling and was worth stopping the car to take a look. I never pass an opportunity to get a good look at any bird that crosses my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment